Nutrition is important for anybody, especially swimmers. Whether you swim recreationally or like to participate in swimming competitions, the foods you eat can greatly impact your workouts.
Swimming requires a large amount of energy during the swims and energy to replenish lost stores afterwards. Which foods are best to eat before a swim? And which foods are great to consume afterwards? Let’s take a look at a list of great foods to boost your energy both before and after your swim workouts. Be sure to drink plenty of water, as well as consuming these foods!
Before a workout, the goal is to enhance your energy. For this reason, it’s a good idea to eat something high in carbohydrates and ideally low in fibre and fat. Examples of good foods to eat before your swim are
- Wholegrain cereal
- Fruit salad with yoghurt
- Dried fruit such as raisins or sultanas
- Energy bars or cereal bars
- Fruit smoothie
If you’re swimming for a long time throughout the day, such as when you are doing a competition or training intensely, it’s important to replenish your energy regularly with easily digestible snacks. It would be best if you also were sure to drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Here are some great foods that are quick and easy to eat during your workouts.
- Fruit including bananas, apples, blueberries, and pears
- Sandwiches with various fillings such as tuna, chicken, or cheese
- Crackers or rice cakes with nut butter
- Nuts like cashews, almonds, or peanuts
After a swim workout, the goal is to replace lost energy stores and lost water. Eat as soon as possible for maximum recovery. Foods should include a good source of complex carbohydrates instead of simple sugars. Aim to eat a decently sized meal that includes a protein source to help with muscle recovery too. Examples of some great foods to boost recovery after a swim include
- Wholegrains that include complex carbs, such as pasta, rice, potato, bread, or oatmeal
- Protein such as chicken, fish, egg, or a vegetarian alternative
- Yoghurt with granola or fruit
The important thing for any swimmers is to ensure that energy stores are replaced and that the body is well hydrated throughout all workouts. If you want to perform at your best, your nutrition needs to be on point!
Thanks for reading.